Tuesday, February 10, 2015

NIAN GAO ( TRADITIONAL NEW YEAR CAKE)



Second year making the traditional new year cake,Nian Gao (which means achieving greater heights in the new year in mandarin) is a much sought delicacy.Using banana leaves can withstand long hour of steaming and have to use a few layer of banana leaves for lining the tin. Make sure the banana leaves is covered properly or else if there is any leak in the leaves,once it cook it will stick to the tin
and can't be remove,it will be too stickly and will be out of shape. last year I use rock sugar to cook this nian gao and this year i use plain sugar.After testing this nian gao,I prefer the rock sugar,not too sweet .This year I pile up  to cook this nian gao,I am using three packet of glutinous flour.

NIAN GAO ( TRADITIONAL NEW YEAR CAKE)

Ingredients;
1 kg glutinous rice flour
1 kg sugar
750 ml water

Method;
1. In a pot,cook the sugar and water till boiling,boil until the sugar is completely dissolves,remove from heat,leave to cool. Next ,add in glutinous rice flour,mix well until it becomes sticky batter.

2.To prepare steaming tin,lightly burn the banana leaves over hot fire until soften,then cut into large
pieces and arrange into the tins,ready to use.( I blanced the banana leaves in hot boiling water till soft,wipe it clean and dry ,layer the leaves a few layer,safe way).

Note; I used wood to cook this nian gao since I have a big open back yard.Carefully adjusting the fire and do not turn it too high,the different will be getting a smoothie or rough surface.checking the steaming water level,if shortage of steaming water during steaming process,must not add in cold water,but boiling water.My Nian gao surface look bit of rough surface,cos I add in lot of wood,very big fire.Hope next year, I hope to make a smooth and nice ones.To pile up the nian gao for steaming the cover have to be high.

No comments:

Post a Comment