Tuesday, January 7, 2014

NIAN GAO (STICKY RICE CAKE)



My first attempted to make this Nian Gao.I got the recipes from my aunty mother through words.
It took me 12 hours to steam and make two only,My hubby said I wasted my time to cook 12 hours for this two nian gao.I did not know,you can put a few more by piling up anothe two or three.I used wood to cook this nian gao as I have a big open backyard.You can used charcoal.After 12 hours,the picture show out the results.I was happy with it. in the begining I was afraid it won't turn brown in colour. It took me 6 hours,just slight brown in colour,the longer you steamed it the colour will be darkened brown.

NIAN GAO

500g glutinious rice ( one packet)
500g rock sugar
500ml water.

In a pot ,add in 500ml water and 500g rock sugar used low heat to cook till the sugar dissolved.Set aside to cool. In a big mixing bowl,put in the 500g glutinious rice and slowly add in the sugar syrup and stir to mix well combined until you get a thicker batter , (slightly thicker than the condensed milk) adjust the batter yourself,if too thick,add some water.

blanch banana leaves to soften,wipe dry.use the banana leaves to line the tin in two or three layers
and pour sticky rice battertill 70 % full. By then fill in the lowest part of steamer with water 80 % full,put nian gao on top together with steamer when water start to boil,steam  over high heat for 10 to 12 hours.have to check the water level,adding hot water time from time until the nian gao turns brown colour. cool and allow to set overnite before removing the tin. It took me 12 hours .






No comments:

Post a Comment